**IMPORTANT NOTE**: There are special instructions for reporting automobile claims. Automobile Claims are to be reported to SPP and/or ICBC via email. Please refer to the Automobile Claims Reporting section below for more details.
Schools Protection Program Automobile Insurance Amendments
Effective July 1, 2016, the SPP Property Agreement was amended to include collision and comprehensive coverage for all school district licensed vehicles whether owned or leased, subject to a $1,000 deductible. Effective May 1, 2021, the SPP Property Agreement was also amended to include Hit and Run physical damage coverage.
SPP continues to offer excess automobile liability coverage over and above ICBC’s primary coverage under the Liability Coverage Agreement.
SPP has made a Memorandum available which provides proof of loss payee status in favour of lessors when required by contract. Also included is confirmation that the district carries excess automobile liability, collision and comprehensive coverage for vehicles leased and licensed in the name of the school district.
Automobile Claims Reporting
Processes are in place for reporting collision, comprehensive, multi-party accidents with shared responsibility, and bodily injury claims.
- Please email the completed New Claim Report to SPP and/or ICBC.
- There are detailed instructions on the Vehicle Insurance – School District Claims Processing Flowchart and Automobile Claims Reporting Guidelines Card.
- A new report must be completed for each claim submitted to SPP and/or ICBC.
Quick Summary - Who do I report the claim to?
- Injury to person(s): Report to ICBC
- Multi-party collision: Report to SPP and ICBC
- Single vehicle collision (SD vehicle involved only; no damage to any other property including another vehicle): Report to SPP
- Comprehensive: Report to SPP
- Windshield: Report to SPP
- Hit and Run: Report to SPP
SPP Claims Report: RMBclaims@gov.bc.ca
- Contact: 250-356-1794
- Office Hours: Monday-Friday 7:30am-5:00pm (Pacific Time);
- Closed on weekends and statutory holidays
ICBC Fleet Claims Report: email@example.com
- Contact: 604-520-8822 (Lower Mainland); 1-800-910-4222 (Toll-Free)
- Claims can be reported 24 hours a day, seven days a week
- ** ICBC requires that all events that may require repairs under Basic Vehicle Damage (BVD) be reported to ICBC within 90 days of the event.**
An Automobile Claims Reporting Guidelines Card should be available in the glovebox of each vehicle in the school district fleet, providing quick tips on what information to collect and how to report a claim after an incident.
Further training material includes a Sample New Claim Report. Available for reference only is advice on Garage Policy Coverage. Additional information about automobile coverage is addressed in SPP’s Administrators’ Handbook/Guide to SPP Coverage (available under the “Publications” tab).
If you have any questions, please feel free to get in touch with your SPP Risk Consultant.